|Table of Contents|
John Branchford Clayborn
Fourth Child of James and Melinda Clayborn
3 November 1849 - 23 May 1932
|Roxanna Bailiff Clayborn|
John Branchford Clayborn was born on 3 November 1849 to James and Melinda Clayborn
and lived in Alexandria, Tennessee. During the 1870 census, at the age of 21, he was still living at home with his parents and siblings.
But just a couple years later, on 4 January 1872, he married (1st) Mary A. Sandlin (born July 1850) in DeKalb County. Together they had five children - Mary, Charlie, Henry, Sallie, and James - listed in greater detail below.
On 25 December 1879 John married (2nd) Roxanna Bailiff. Together John and Roxanna had five children - Ella Frances, John Isaac, William Thomas, Ida Mable and Maggie Lee - listed in greater detail below.
Prior to her marriage to John B. Clayborn, Roxanna was married twice, one of them being John Chapman which resulted in four children. One of these children, Nancy Mattie Chapman, had a son named Claud, but by 1910 Nancy and Claud were living with John and Roxanna and would continue to do so for much of Nancy's life. Roxanna died on 14 August 1919. Her tombstone at Alexandria Eastview Cemetery lists her name as "Roxzana" and has an inscription that reads, "A tender mother and faithful friend."
John appears to have lived his remaining years under the same roof as his step-daughter Nancy and step-grandson Claud. The relationship must have been a close one because later on Nancy and Claud would use the surname "Clayborn." It is possible that John B. Clayborn adopted Nancy as his daughter, and therefore Claud became his adopted grandson.
John G. Claybourn
|Tombstones at Alexandria Eastview Cemetery|
and his wife Elsie visited the farm on which Ephraim Claybourn
(their grandfather) lived in about 1925. There in Alexandria, Tennessee, they also met John B. Clayborn, then seventy-six years of age. He said that Ephraim's father was named Joshua, which further reinforces what deeds and DNA research have also proven.
John Branchford Clayborn died on 23 May 1932 in Alexandria, Tennessee, presumably at the home of his step-daughter Nancy. He is buried in Alexandria Eastview Cemetery. Inscribed on his tombstone is the phrase, "An honest man's the noblest work of God."
- Mary Ann Clayborn was born in 1872 to John and Mary Clayborn in DeKalb County, Tennessee, but died at a young age on 16 June 1879.
- James Monroe Clayborn was born on 4 April 1874 to John and Mary Clayborn. In the 1914 and 1915 Nashville city directories he was listed as a machinist living in the city. In the 1910 census, he and his wife are living in Davidson County, Tennesee. In his World War I draft registration card he is living in Williamson County, Tennessee and that's where he is in the 1920 census as a farmer, with a niece of his wife living with him and his wife. In about 1906 James married Laura Louetta Carter (c. 1882-1970). NShe later married widower Robert Y. Talley (1872-1953) on 2 August 1937 in DeKalb County, Tennessee. James died on 17 September 1929 in Alexandria, DeKalb County, Tennessee. His death certificate listed his occupation as farming.
|James M. Clayborn and his wife Laura Carter||
|James M. Clayborn with his sister Ella Frances Clayborn||
- Sarah N. Clayborn ("Sallie") was born on 22 December 1875. She married John Wesley Talley (1865-1937) on 28 June 1900 in Wilson County, Tennessee, of the Upper Helton area in Wilson County, Tennessee. Together they had three children. John and Sallie owned a house on the Coons Branch Road. Eventually, though, they sold the house and moved to Jennings, Louisiana. When Sallie died on 4 January 1947 John moved back to Alexandria and died not long after in 1949. Both are buried in the Talley graveyard on Coons Branch Road, not far from their original house.
- Willie Lee Talley (a girl) was born on 23 March 1901. She married (1st) to Burley Reeves (1898-1968) in about 1917, had a son with him, and divorced in about 1919. She married (2nd) Andrew Jackson Weatherly (born 24 March 1982) and together they had six children. Andrew died in 1971 in Nashville, Tennessee, and Willie died in January 1987 in Hendersonville, Tennessee.
- John Wesley Reeves was born on 29 May 1918 in Alexandria, DeKalb County, Tennessee. He served in the U.S. Army in World War II from May 1939 to October 1945. He married Esther Koll (1920-1999). John died 3 December 1990 in Jennings, Louisiana.
- James Weatherly was born on 29 March 1922 in Tennessee. He married Margaret Ward on 19 June 1941 in Williamson County, Tennessee. James died on 8 May 1987 in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Charles W. Weatherly was born on 11 June 1924 in Tennessee. He served as a corporal in the U.S. Army Air Corps in World War II from February 1943 to December 1945. Charles died on 3 July 1991.
- Edward J. Weatherly was born on 15 August 1926 in Tennessee. Edward died on 19 August 1997 in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Lucille Weatherly was born in about 1929.
- Nellie Weatherly was born in about 1931.
- Franklin Lee Weatherly was born on 1 December 1932 in Tennessee. He served as a technical sergeant in the U.S. Air Force in
Korea from October 1967 to September 1971. Franklin married Nellie Louise Sullivan (born 1930) on 5 January 1977 in Williamson County, Tennessee. Franklin died on 31 May 1996 in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Margaret Ann Weatherly was born on 29 July 1938 and died on 28 January 1939 in Davidson County, Tennessee.
- James Erby Talley was born in about 1903 in Tennessee. He married Georgia Maybelle "May" Oliver (1899-1958) in about 1927. James died after 1930.
- Marcella M. Talley was born on 12 October 1927 in Cook County, Illinois. She married Vernal Tredes Raiford (1921-1988) in about 1946. Marcella died on 10 April 2010 in McHenry County, Illinois.
- Arlene Jane Talley was born on 20 February 1931 in Cook County, Illinois. Arlene died on 8 December 2006 in White County, Illinois. She is buried with her mother.
- Herman Talley was born on 17 July 1911 in Tennessee. He married Elsie C. Unknown (1910-12011) in about 1937. Herman died on 20 December 1990 in Jennings, Jefferson Davis County, Louisiana.
- Roy W. Talley was born in about 1939 in Jefferson Davis County, Louisiana.
- Nancy Jane Clayborn was born on 2 March 1878 in DeKalb County, Tennessee.
- Charlie Clayborn was born in 1879 and was a twin to Henry, but died soon after on 7 August 1879.
- Henry Clayborn was born in 1879 and died not much later on 18 August 1879. Note that he was the third child to die within three months, suggesting some sort of illness was afflicting the family, although difficulty with delivering twins may have contributed to it as well. A few months later in December their mother died.
- Ella Frances Clayborn was born on 8 November 1880. She married in 1901 to Jessie Edgar Eaton (born 8 January 1880) and together they had at least three children. Ella died in 1944 and Jessie died in March 1973.
- Tommie Eaton was born on 20 July 1907 in DeKalb County, Tennessee. He married Lila Mae Sprouse (1913-1973) on 22 October 1930
in Alabama. Tommie died on 15 February 1978 in Pemiscot County, Missouri.
- Judy Eaton was born in about 1931 in Red Bay, Alabama. She married Ronald G. Schultz (1925-2010).
- Bonnie Eaton was born in about 1933 in Red Bay, Alabama. She married Mr. Mercer, then married Robert Earl McCullough.
- Kathryn Eaton was born in about 1936 in Red Bay, Alabama. She married Mr. Morton, then married Robert McCrate.
- Thomas Mac Eaton was born on 14 September 1938 in Red Bay, Alabama. He married Martha Geraldine Lindley (1939-2011). Thomas died on 21 February 2006 in Holland, Missouri.
- Jerry L. Eaton was born in 1944 in Red Bay, Alabama.
- Betty Eaton was born in about 1945 in Red Bay, Alabama. She married Ray E. Shoup on 2 March 1965.
- Billy Wayne Eaton was born on 24 March 1947 in Red Bay, Alabama. He married Linda Kathy Lindley on 28 November 1966 in Pemiscot County, Missouri. Billy died on 23 September 2012 in Holland, Missouri.
- Rickey Eaton was born in about 1953. He married a woman Sue.
- Robert Henry Eaton was born on 22 January 1908 in DeKalb County, Tennessee. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II from January 1942 to December 1945. He married Mildred Frances Fowler (1911-2000), formerly married to Mr. Stewart, on 26 June 1963 in Wilson County, Tennessee. Robert died on 6 January 1984 in Watertown, Tennessee.
- Annie May Eaton was born in about 1910 in DeKalb County, Tennessee. She married Frank Hill Foutch (1907-1953) on 10 November 1929 in Wilson County, Tennessee. Annie died after 1953.
- Johnnie W. Eaton was born in 1912 and married Lorene Haley (born in 1916). Johnnie died on 18 November 1960 and is buried at Hearn Hill Cemetery in Wilson County, Tennessee. Lorene followed in death on 24 February 2008. Johnnie and Lorene had four children together, including John Ray Eaton and Margaret Ann Eaton.
- Helen Neal Eaton was born in about 1938 in Smith County, Tennessee. She married Howard Gannon Jr. (1939-2004) on 3 August 1962 in DeKalb County, Tennessee.
- Margaret Ann Eaton was born on 5 April 1942 in Tennessee and died on 13 July 1993 in Wilson County, Tennessee.
- Billy Robert Eaton was born on 4 September 1943 in Tennessee. He married Patsy Ann Watson on 1 June 1968 in Smith County, Tennessee, but she married again in June 1972. Billy died on 15 December 2014 in Lebanon, Wilson County, Tennessee.
- John Ray Eaton was born on 3 August 1945 in Tennessee. He married first to Linda Sue Helton on 23 August 1969 in Sumner
County, Tennessee. He married second to Marilyn J. Murphy on 1 May 1971 in White County, Tennessee. He married third to Carol Ann Vantrease on 24 March 1979 in Wilson County, Tennessee He was divorced at the time of his death. John died on 12 January 2000 in
- Sallie May Eaton was born in about 1915 in Wilson County, Tennessee, and living with her parents as of the 1930 census.
- Mattie Frances Eaton was born in about 1918 in Wilson County, Tennessee, and living with her parents as of the 1930 census.
- Jesse Ray Eaton was born on 22 February 1922 in Wilson County, Tennessee, and died on 25 August 1981 in Oakland County, Michigan.
- John Isaac Claiborne was born on 13 January 1883. He married Willie Frances Eaton (born on 3 January 1883) and together they had seven children. John died on 27 February 1952 and Willie followed in death in 1963. Both are buried in Hearn Hill Cemetery in Wilson County, Tennessee. For unknown reasons, their children took a different spelling of the surname.
- Robbie Pauline Claiborne was born on 25 March 1904 in DeKalb County, Tennessee. She married Alvie Foutch Parker (1904-1960) in about 1921. Robbie died on 4 January 1929 in McMinnville, Tennessee, of tuberculosis.
- James Parker was born in about 1922 in Warren County, Tennessee.
- Alvie Foutch Parker Jr. was born in about 1925 in Warren County, Tennessee.
- Frances Evelyn Parker was born in about 1928 in Warren County, Tennessee.
- Ollie John Claiborne was born on 18 August 1906 in DeKalb County, Tennessee. He married Ruth Carroll (1913-2000) on 25 December 1931 in DeKalb County. Ollie served in the U.S. Army during World War II from July 1943 to December 1943. Ollie died on 5 April 1983 in Catoosa County, Georgia.
- William Edward Claiborne was born on 21 April 1909 in DeKalb County, Tennessee. He married Verna I. Bernthal (1917-2010) on 21 October 1939 in Huron County, Michigan. William died on 23 January 1998 in Port Richey, Florida.
- Lorene Claiborne was born on 13 April 1914 in DeKalb County, Tennessee. She married Lee Shaver Hendrickson (1904-1992) on 9 July 1933 in DeKalb County. Lorene died on 4 December 1996 in Travis County, Texas.
- Mary Frances Claiborne was born in about 1916 in DeKalb County, Tennessee, and living with her parents as of the 1930 census.
- Jesse Eaton Claiborne was born on 1 February 1920 in DeKalb County, Tennessee. He married a woman named Alice Rose (1922-1993) and served as a staff sergeant in the U.S. Army in World War II and was a China-Burma-India veteran. Jesse died on 31 July 2007.
- Marshall Wilson Claiborne was born on 26 April 1923 in DeKalb County, Tennessee, and died on 17 December 1941 in Watertown, Tennessee. He is buried at Hearn Hill Cemetery in Wilson County, Tennessee.
- William Thomas Clayborn was born on 13 August 1885 and died on 18 March 1887.
- Ida Mable Clayborn was born on 18 March 1889. On 7 October 1906 she married James Callie Roberts (born in March 1879). They had seven children together. James died of lung cancer on 14 August 1943, and on 16 September 1954 she married second to Berry Johnson (1894-1966) in Wilson County, Tennessee. He served in the U.S. Army in World War I as private first class in Company M of the 45th Infantry. Ida died in 1969 and is buried at Prosperity Cemetery in Wilson County, Tennessee.
- Robbie Hudson Roberts was born on 8 January 1910 and married on 19 June 1931 to Gertie Everett (1913-2004). Together they had four children. Robbie died on 6 June 1996 and Gertie followed on 30 January 2004.
- Jim Turner Roberts was born on 20 June 1912 and married on 7 August 1937 to Betty Jane Curtis Roberts (born on 14 June 1920). During his life Jim worked for the Lebanon Garment Company and also worked as a farmer. He was a member of the People's Baptist Church in Liberty, Tennessee. Jim and Betty had one son, James S. Roberts. Betty died on 15 August 1999 and Jim followed in death on 10 November 2003. Both are buried in the Talley Cemetery in Liberty, Tennessee.
- Frank Roy Roberts was born on 8 January 1915. He married on 24 December 1936 Altie Ray Curtis (20 September 1914 - 11 May 1998). Together they had at least one child. Frank died on 19 May 2012.
- Bessie Lee Roberts was born on 14 October 1918 and married on 20 June 1936 to Virgil A. Russell (born 4 September 1915). Together they had three children, including Gary Wayne Russell (c. 1947 - 27 April 2002). Virgil died on 19 May 1994 and Bessie followed on 25 June 2004 in Watertown, Tennessee.
- Mable Ray Roberts was born on 14 December 1921. She married George M. Bratten before 1946. Mable died on 27 July 2011 in Davidson County, Tennessee.
- John Calvin Roberts was born on 16 June 1924 and married Frances Ricketts (born 27 February 1924). He served as a private first class in the U.S. Army in World War II, enlisting on 28 April 1945. John and Frances had three children together. Frances died on 10 October 1998 and John followed on 22 July 2002. He is buried at Wilson County Memorial Park in Lebanon, Tennessee.
- Robert Gaston Roberts was born on 30 July 1927 and married Mildred Gammons (1930-2002), whose surname was Hicks at her death. Together they had three children together. Robert died on 18 January 1998 and Mildred followed on 7 June 2002.
- Elaine Roberts married Michael Pulliam.
- Susan Roberts married a man with the surname Murray.
- Lynn Roberts married Mike Kent.
- Maggie Lee Clayborn was born on 23 December 1894. On 10 August 1912 she married Arnold Mason Grandstaff (1890-1954). Maggie died on 10 October 1956 in Lebanon, Wilson County, Tennessee.
- Odell Grandstaff was born on 19 November 1913 in DeKalb County, Tennessee. He served in the U.S. Army in World War II from June 1943 to December 1945. Odell died on 28 April 1971 in Lebanon, Tennessee.
- Frank Roy Grandstaff was born on 26 May 1919 in DeKalb County, Tennessee. He married Jane Evans (1923-1970) on 14 July 1940 in DeKalb County, Tennessee. Frank died on 19 March 1976 in Davidson County, Tennessee.
- John B. Grandstaff was born on 21 May 1921 in DeKalb County, Tennessee, and died on 6 January 1976 in Davidson County, Tennessee.
References and Notes