|Table of Contents|
Arthur Ellis Claybourn
The Third Child of Cashus and Rose Claybourn
4 February 1885 - 3 January 1941
Arthur Ellis Claybourn was born 4 February 1885 in Fayette County, Illinois, to Cashus and Rose Claybourn. He married Laura Howard. They lived in Mt. Vernon, Illinois, for a while, and his cousin Orley Claybourn helped him get a job with the Louisville & Nashville Railroad there. Arthur belonged to the Masonic Lodge. Later he moved to Palestine, Texas, and worked as a conductor for the Missouri Pacific Railroad until an illness claimed his life on 3 January 1941. His widow Laura lived in Palestine, Texas, and died there on 16 August 1974 due to a fall in her yard. They are buried in Palestine City Cemetery in Anderson County, Texas.
- Lenora Laura Claybourn was born on 29 June 1902 in Trinity, Texas. She married Ira Constantine McInnis ("Connie") on 10 December 1923 in Palestine, Anderson County, Texas. Together they had one child, Connie Lee, listed below. Connie McInnis's family had been a prominent furniture business in downtown Palestine for many years. From 1926 to 1930 they owned and operated the family business McInnis Furniture Company at 201 W. Crawford Street, before selling the business to Denby Furniture Company in 1930. After the sale, the family moved to Tulsa, Oklahoma, where Ira embarked on a long and successful career with American Airlines, a newly formed company at that time. This job required them to move throughout the country, including to Murfreesboro, New Orleans, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Chicago, and Manhasset, New York. She attended Principia College in St. Louis, Missouri, and Texas Christian University in Fort Worth, Texas.
When Lenora and her husband Ira "Connie," along with his parents Virgil McInnis and Lynette "Nettie" Cockerham McInnis, owned and operated the McInnis Furniture Company, before they sold the business and the family moved from Palestine, Lenora also loved making lovely window displays in the store demonstrating how the furniture could be arranged in the home, a novel idea at the time. Later after they moved from Palestine when Ira Constantine "Connie" began his career with American Airlines, Lenora, and her mother in law "Nettie" Cockerham McInnis voluntarily began a hot lunch program for American in Cincinnati, organizing and overseeing the preparation and distribution of the meals at the airport whereby passengers were served a hot lunch on the airplane. After forty years with American Airlines, Ira "Connie" retired and he and Lenora moved back from New York to Palestine, Texas, and built a home on the old McInnis family farm. Lenora was a member of the Harvey Women's Club, Pioneer Garden Club, and Guion Music Club in Palestine, and was active in civic and church activities all of her life. Ira "Connie" was a member and president of the Rotary Club in Palestine and very active in the community. He had been active in church and civic activities all his life, and was a loving husband, father, grandfather, and great-grandfather. Lenora was a devoted and loving wife, mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother. Lenora died on 22 March 1985 and is buried in Palestine, Texas. Ira died some years later on 8 February 1991. Lenora and Ira "Connie" are buried together in Palestine City Cemetery in Anderson County, Texas.
- Connie Lee McInnis was born on 21 October 1925 in Palestine, Texas. During her youth she moved throughout the country due to her father's job with American Airlines. As a child, she sang on the radio on the "Kiddie Hour" in Atlanta, Georgia, and taught ballroom dancing at Arthur Murray Dance Studio in New York. She took flying lessons at the age of seventeen with a cousin at the Palestine Airport, and dreamed of being a pilot. Ultimately Connie graduated from Manhasset High School in Manhasset, New York, in 1943. She attended Principia College in St. Louis, Missouri, and Texas Christian University in Fort Worth, Texas.
Connie Lee married (1st) Jay H. Moore (born on 5 September 1923 in Omaha, Nebraska). They married on 24 December 1944 at Moore Field, Mission Texas, in Hidalgo County, Texas, where Jay was stationed and was training to be a fighter pilot in World War II, which he became and then honorably served his country as fighter pilot in World War II and the Korean War. Together they had two children, Jay Henry Moore Jr. and Connie Lenore Moore, listed below. A few years after Connie Lee re-married, Jay Henry, Jr. and Connie Lenore added their stepfather's last name, McLeod. Connie Lee married (2nd) to Norman Lemuel McLeod (born on 14 April 1927 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts), with whom she had two more children, Norman Saunders and Jeffrey Charles, listed below. She was active during her lifetime in civic and church activities and was a member of Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Palestine at the time of her death. She also was a former member of the Harvey Women's Club, a former Cub Scout Den Mother, and was active in the Republican Party in earlier years. Norman died on 27 January 2002 in Elkhart, Anderson County, Texas. Connie Lee died on 21 January 2012. She and her 2nd husband Norman are buried together in Palestine City Cemetery in Anderson County, Texas. Connie Lee was remembered by her family for her love of Jesus Christ, her loving face and heart, her love for all people, her love of animals and all of God's creation, her hearty laugh, her kind and loving spirit, and most of all as a beloved and loving mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother.
- Jay Henry Moore McLeod ("Budd") was born Jay Henry Moore Jr. on 4 October 1945, in Nassau County, Rockville Centre, New York, and legally took the name Jay Henry Moore McLeod a few years after his mother remarried. He graduated from Milford High School in Milford, New Hampshire, in 1964. He attended New England College in Henniker, New Hampshire. He later moved to Palestine, Anderson County, Texas. Jay never married nor had any children. He is a professional musician who sang and played the guitar with many well known bands. He loved music, skiing, fishing, and his family.
- Connie Lenore Moore McLeod was born Connie Lenore Moore on 13 February 1949 in Cumberland County, Fort Bragg, North Carolina, and legally took the name Connie Lenore Moore McLeod a few years after her mother re-married. Connie Lenore attended Milford High School in Milford, New Hampshire, and graduated from Thomas Jefferson High School in Dallas, Texas, in 1967. During high school Connie Lenore was active in many clubs and organizations including the high school choir, homeroom representative, and the high school newspaper staff. Connie Lenore graduated from C.W. Post College of Long Island University in New York in 1972 cum laude with a bachelor of arts degree in social science. She was a member of the C.W. Post College of Long Island University Honors Program Society, the college newspaper staff, and several other clubs and honors organizations at her college. After graduating Connie Lenore moved to the McInnis family farm in Palestine, Anderson County, Texas, where her grandparents, Lenora Claybourn McInnis and Ira Constantine "Connie" McInnis, had recently moved back after his retirement from American Airlines in New York.
Connie Lenore married on 3 August 1974 in Anderson County, Texas, to Daniel Leon Glenn (born 13 March, 1949 in Anderson County). Together they had one child, Angela Michelle, listed below. Connie Lenore and Dan built a home on the old McInnis farm near her grandparents, Lenora and and Ira Constantine "Connie" McInnis. Connie Lenore had a long and successful career with Texas Employment Commission in Palestine, Texas, from 1976 to 2007 as an employment interviewer and career counselor. She retired in 2007 after thirty-one years of service. Connie's husband, Dan, began his career with Missouri Pacific Railroad in 1972 in Palestine, Texas. Union Pacific later bought out Missouri Pacific in 1983 and Dan retired in 2009 after thirty-seven years of service as a claim's adjuster with both Missouri Pacific and Union Pacific Railroads in Palestine. Connie Lenore was active in church and civic activities all her life. Connie loved singing with her church choir among other activities. Connie was also an active member of many other clubs and civic organizations. She was a loving and devoted wife, mother, and grandmother. Besides her love for Jesus Christ, Connie Lenore loved being a mother and grandmother and spending time with her family and beloved grandchildren.
- Angela Michelle Glenn was born 7 April 1979 in Cherokee County, Texas. She was the first great-grandchild of Lenora Claybourn McInnis and Ira Constantine "Connie" McInnis, who loved her dearly. Lenora and "Connie" lived next door to Angela and her parents (Connie Lenore and Dan Glenn) in Anderson County, Texas, on the old McInnis farm when Angela was growing up. Angela graduated from Elkhart High School in Anderson County, Elkhart, Texas in 1997. Angela graduated from Texas Tech University in Lubbock, Texas, in 2001 with a bachelors of business administration. She was a member of Pi Beta Phi Sorority. Angela married Reyes R. Jimenez on 7 June 2003 in Dallas, Texas. After marrying, Angela and Reyes resided in Lubbock, Texas. Angela was a broker and owner of King Realty in Lubbock, Texas. She was active in church and civic activities and was a loving mother and wife. Reyes was the Chief Operations Officer for UMC Physician Services in Lubbock, Texas. Together Angela and Reyes had three children: Kaden King Jimenez (born 17 March 2005 in Lubbock, Texas); Kingston Zackary Jimenez (born 5 October 2007 in Lubbock, Texas); and Camille Alexis Jimenez (born 3 August 2011 in Lubbock, Texas).
- Norman Saunders McLeod was born on 9 July 1955 in Winchester, Middlesex County, Massachusetts. He graduated from Melrose High School in Melrose, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, in 1973. He married Joanne LaCau on 5 October 1984 in Marlborough, New Hampshire. Together they has three children: Matthew Norman (born on 5 September 1988 in Malden, Massachusetts); and Leslie Catherine and Cameron Saunders (twins) both born on 12 September 1993 in Manchester, New Hampshire. Norman was a professional musician and loving husband and father. He died on 29 September 1997.
- Jeffrey C. McLeod was born on 2 January 1962 in Winchester, Middlesex County, Massachusetts. He graduated from Melrose High School in Melrose, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, in 1980. He married Lisa Faragi on 14 February 1986 in Saugus, Massachusetts. Together they had two children: Joshua (born on 13 August 1986 in Melrose, Middlesex County, Massachusetts) and Caitlin (born on 2 May 1991 in Melrose, Middlesex County, Massachusetts). Jeff had a long and successful career in retail management, including with Pet Smart. He was a devoted husband and father.
- Howard Arthur Claybourn was born on 28 November 1903 in Trinity, Texas. He lived in New York City for a while. Howard married (1st) on 29 November 1924 (Howard's twenty-first birthday) to Jetty Jewell Boyd ("Judy") of Palestine, Texas (Judy was born on 11 May 1905 in Anderson County, Texas). Together they had two daughters, listed below. Judy returned to using her maiden name after their marriage ended. She died on 28 September 1994 in Wharton County, Texas, and is buried there in Oaklawn Memorial Park Cemetery. Howard married (2nd) in September 1958 to Evelyn Swanson Romo (born on 18 April 1908 in Kings County, New York). Howard died on 1 May 1966 of cirrhosis of the liver. Evelyn died on 6 February 1980 in Victoria County, Texas, and is buried there as Evelyn S. Claybourn in Memorial Park Cemetery.
Patsy Jewel Claybourn ("Pat") was born on 7 September 1925 in Houston, Harris County, Texas. She graduated from Palacios High School in 1943, and shortly after, met her husband of 67 years, Joe Edward Richards, also a Palacios High School graduate. Joe and Pat met when he returned from Los Angeles, California, to visit his family before entering Flight Instructor School at Randolph Field in San Antonio at the onset of World War II, where he was a flight instructor in the single-engine advance school for fighter pilots until the end of the war. They were married on 11 September 1944 at the First Baptist Church of El Campo and moved to Alabama during World War II. When the war ended, they moved to Wharton and opened a laundry and dry cleaning business they operated together for five years, until they purchased Pat's father's business in El Campo, Sunshine Laundry and Dry Cleaners. Pat and Joe operated the business for sixty-five years until retiring in 1996.
In addition to helping her husband own and operate a business, Pat was a journalist, editor, and also had a radio program three days a week. As a journalist, Pat wrote women's news in El Campo for the El Campo News, The Citizen, and the El Campo Leader-News. Her columns "News" and "About Town" focused on women's interests and social happenings. Her radio program aired on Radio Station KULP three days a week. Pat was an active member in philanthropic and social clubs, including: an afternoon bridge club, the Garden Club, a dedicated member of First Baptist Church, a couple's club, the PTA, Beta Sigma Phi, and organized the Sesame Club. An energetic and passionate woman, Pat loved and relished her time with her husband, children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, friends, and employees. She died on 6 July 2012.
- Sherilyn Jo Richards was born in 1946 In Wharton County, Texas. She married Thomas Charles Perilloux (born in 1945 in Harris County, Texas).
- Thomas Charles Perilloux Jr. was born in 1970 in Brazoria County, Texas. He married on 13 April 2002 in Wharton County, Texas, to Lisa Faye Morton (born in 1971 in Wharton County, Texas).
- Tia Patricia Perilloux was born in 1972 in Brazoria County, Texas. She married (1st) on 23 May 1998 in Dallas County, Texas, to Brian A. Creech (born in 1972) and they divorced on 13 May 2004 in Collin County, Texas. She married (2nd) on 17 April 2010 in Hays County, Texas, to Michael Jason Thompson (born in 1981 in Tarrant County, Texas).
- Joseph H. Richards was born in about 1949. He married on 18 December 1975 in Wharton County, Texas, to Veronica Marie Sedlock (born in 1955 in Wharton County).
- Patricia Nyrene Richards was born in 1976 in Wharton County, Texas. She married (1st) on 24 February 2001 in Harris County, Texas, to Coury Matthew Portella (born in 1973 in Harris County). They had a daughter, then divorced before 2007 when he married again. She then married (2nd) to Bob Wright.
- Chad Edward Richards was born in 1980 in Wharton County, Texas. He married on 2 May 2009 in Harris County, Texas, to Kimberly Renee Hoffmann (born in 1984 in Wharton County, Texas).
- Betty Jeanne Claybourn was born on 30 July 1929 in Houston, Harris County, Texas. She married Robert Leon Welch ("Bobby") on 6 January 1952, and worked as a secretary for the Heart of Texas Fair. Betty was tragically killed in an automobile accident in Waco, Texas, on the eve of their fourth anniversary on 5 January 1956. She is buried in Oaklawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Wharton County, Texas.
- Rollie Ernest Claybourn was born on 19 September 1905 in Mt. Vernon, Illinois. He was named for Rollie Crowder, who had married his cousin, once removed, Alma Blanche Claybourn. Rollie Claybourn attended Texas A&M University and later become a wholesale drug salesman, eventually settling in Whittier, California. He married (1st) Adele LeBlanc (1910-1965) in about 1928 and they had one child, Mary, listed below. Adele married again before 1940 to Wallace C. Trow (1906-1951), as she and her daughter are living with him in Harris County, Texas, in the census.
Rollie married (2nd) Evelyn White in about 1945, who had four children by a previous marriage. Evelyn was born on 13 August 1904 in Texas and died on 22 May 2000 in Torrance, Los Angeles County, California. They had one child together, Carol, listed below. As of the 1940 census, Evelyn and "Raleigh Clayborn" are enumerated as living together in Houston with her as his wife, yet both are also listed as divorced. Rollie died on 11 October 1971. Evelyn died on 22 May 1922 in Los Angeles, California. Rollie and Evelyn are both buried in Rose Hills Memorial Park Cemetery in Los Angeles County, California.
- Mary Louise Claybourn was born on 29 April 1930 in Houston, Texas. She married a doctor and lived in California.
- Nancy Carol Claybourn ("Carol") was born on 25 February 1946 in Los Angeles County, California. Her mother's maiden name is listed as White. She married on 21 February 1970 in Los Angeles County, California, to Donald J. Reifer (born in 1943). They may have obtained a quick divorce, then married again on 3 April 1970 in Los Angeles County, California.
- Joseph A. Reifer was born in 1970 in Los Angeles County, California.
- Nancy J. Reifer was born in 1974 in Los Angeles County, California.
- Clifton Havard Claybourn was born on 31 May 1907 in Palestine, Texas. He was an accountant, and both he and his brother Howard worked for a dry cleaning chain. He married Inetia Orado Watson and they had one child, Clifton, listed below. Clifton died on 25 September 1953 and Inetia would go on to marry again following his death to a Mr. Johnson. Inetia died on 2 September 1980 in Austin, Texas. She is buried with Clifton in San Marcos Cemetery in Hays County, Texas.
- Clifton Havard Claybourn Jr. ("Havard") was born on 12 September 1929 in Houston, Texas. He married in September 1951 to Velma Jane Grisham ("Jane") (born in 1929 in Shackelford County, Texas). He served in the U.S. Air Force from March 1951 to May 1953. They owned a laundry and dry cleaning business in San Marcus, Texas. Clifton died on 20 November 1993 in San Marcos and is buried in San Marcos Cemetery in Hays County, Texas.
- Clifton Dean Claybourn was born on 14 June 1953 in Hays County, Texas, and was afflicted with Down syndrome. He lived at home with his parents and worked in a sheltered workshop.
- Kendal Lane Claybourn was born on 17 October 1957 in Travis County, Texas. He graduated from San Marcos High School in 1976 and Texas State University in 1981. He worked in the finance department of the City of San Marcos, Texas. He married on 20 July 1991 in Hays County, Texas, to Debra Kay Boyd (born in 1962 in Cameron County, Texas).
- Cody Alan Claybourn was born in 1994 in Hays County, Texas.
- Raymond Carney Claybourn was born on 21 April 1909 in Palestine, Texas. He lived in Houston, Texas, and was in the dry cleaning business in El Campo, Texas. In about 1929 he married Lillian Edna Handley (born on 8 July 1905 in Corrigan, Texas). Together they had one child, Ann, listed below. Raymond served as an SP2 in the U.S. Naval Reserves during WWII. He died on 26 September 1966 of carcinoma of the esophagus in the Veterans Administration Hospital in Houston, Texas. Lillian died on 11 March 1981 in Wharton County, Texas. They are buried together in Oaklawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Wharton County, Texas.
- Ann Elizabeth Claybourn was born on 26 March 1934 in Harris County, Texas. She married Thomas Urban Hollis (born on 29 April 1930 in Trinity County, Texas). Ann was a faithful member of First Christian Church in El Campo. She loved to read and loved her cats. Thomas died on 15 February 2002 in El Campo, TX. Ann died there on 11 December 2012. They are buried together in Oaklawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Wharton County, Texas.
- Arthur Ellis Claybourn Jr. was born on 3 August 1912 in Palestine, Texas. He worked as the sales manager for Dallas Warehouse & Distributing Co., and later as Assistant Vice President of North Dallas Bank & Trust. Arthur married Laura Walton of Palestine prior to the 1940 census taken in April. The two had one child, listed below. Arthur died of stomach cancer on 28 June 1981 in Dallas, Texas. His body was cremated. Laura died on 15 November 2002 in Jack County, Texas.
- Stephen Ellis Claybourn was born on 15 March 1941 in Houston, Harris County, Texas. He attended Highland Park High School in Dallas. He married in about 1960 to Sandra Jo Woods (born in 1940 in Jack County, Texas). They had two children, listed below. He died on 4 March 1989 in Collin County, Texas.
- Stephen Craig Claybourn was born in 1961 in Jack County, Texas. He married first on 4 June 1982 in Collin County, Texas, to Helen Closser (born in about 1965). They had two sons, listed below, then divorced on 1 January 1990 in Collin County. Helen then married in 1992 to Donald R. Melton, but they divorced in 1996. Stephen married Helen a second time on 12 March 1996 in Clark County, Nevada, and then they divorced again on 17 November 2003 in Jack County, Texas. He married (3rd) on 10 January 2004 in Jack County to Christy Lee Bramlett (born in 1974 in Young County, Texas). She had previously been married to Reginald A. Ridgway Jr. from 1994 to 2003 and they had three children.
- Stephen Craig Claybourn Jr. was born in 1983 in Dallas County, Texas. He married on 12 May 2004 in Parker County, Texas, to Rachel Kay Byrd (born in 1983 in Young County, Texas).
- Aaron Keith Claybourn was born in 1989 in Dallas County, Texas.
- Evelyn Claybourn was born on 13 July 1914 in Palestine, Texas. Her birth certificate gives no middle name, but subsequent documents suggest a middle name beginning with "G." On 16 September 1940 she married Marshall Robert Bunn, who worked for American Airlines. The two lived in Dallas, Texas, and had no children. Marshall died on 27 January 1992 and Evelyn died on 2 September 2001, both in Dallas.
- George Edwin Claybourn was born 8 February 1918, in Palestine, Texas. He attended Texas A&M University for two years. He began at American Airlines in 1939 and worked as superintendent of maintenance for American Airlines at the Amon Carter Field. In about 1939 he married Esther Jones and they had three children, listed below. George died on 20 December 1996 in Fairfield Bay, Arkansas. Esther died on 14 December 1999.
- Laura Linda Claybourn was born 28 October 1940 and studied at North Texas State College.
- George Edwin Claybourn, Jr. was born on 4 March 1945. He married (1st) Devonna Jean England on 2 March 1967 in Tarrant County, Texas. The two had a child, Angela Dee, but divorced on 9 April 1970. He married (2nd) on 1 September 1972 to a woman named Betty (born about 1951) and they divorced on 21 September 1974 in Dallas County, Texas.
- Angela Dee Claybourn was born on 23 September 1968 in Tarrant County, Texas. She married on 16 September 1993 in Tarrant County to Robert M. Gowe (born in 1946 in Toronto, Canada). He was previously married from 1969 to 1992.
- Bradford Ellis Claybourn was born on 29 June 1950 in Tarrant County, Texas. He married Barbara Dosher on 4 October 1984 in Virginia City, Nevada.
References and Notes